King's Own Nikolas described Rolan as "something special." He has the farthest reach of Mindspeech of any of the Companions. Rolan is able to speak with Gwena on a daily basis while she and Elspeth are down south in the Tayledras vales. In addition, he is especially fertile; all his couplings result in foals, much to the chagrin of Skif and his Companion, Cymry.
Although he cannot Mindspeak with Talia because her Gift is Empathy, they have an exceptionally strong bond. He is always in the back of her mind. Just by thinking of him, Talia knows what he is feeling and can see through Rolan's eyes. Even when she was shielded and locked in a mage cell in Ancar's dungeon, Talia could sense Rolan all the way until he reached the royal camp at the Valdemar/Hardorn border.
Chosen Heralds[edit | edit source]
- Nikolas, reign of King Kiril, about 850 AF
- Amily, reign of King Kiril, about 850 AF
- Jedin, reign of King Theran, about 1077 AF
- Talamir, reign of King Sendar, about 1355 AF, reign of Queen Selenay, about 1376 AF
- Talia, reign of Queen Selenay, about 1376 AF
In the series[edit | edit source]
Rolan appears in the following works:
- Foundation, The Collegium Chronicles, volume 1
- Intrigues, The Collegium Chronicles, volume 2
- Changes, The Collegium Chronicles, volume 3
- Redoubt, The Collegium Chronicles, volume 4
- Bastion, The Collegium Chronicles, volume 5
- Closer to Home, Herald Spy series, volume 1
- Closer to the Heart, Herald Spy series, volume 2
- Exile's Honor, Herald's of Valdemar prequel, volume 1
- Arrows of the Queen, Heralds of Valdemar series, volume 1
- Arrow's Flight, Heralds of Valdemar series, volume 2
- Arrow's Fall, Heralds of Valdemar series, volume 3
- Winds of Fury, Mage Winds series, volume 3
- Storm Rising, Mage Storms series, volume 2
- "Sun in Glory" by Mercedes Lackey, Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar, Anthologies, volume 2
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Rolan was Talamir's Companion only during Selenay's reign. He replaced the Grove-born Taver, who was killed on the battlefield moments before King Sendar.
2. Although Rolan came into being as a result of Tavers demise during the reign of Sendar he is present as the Kings Own Companion during the Collegium Chronicles set within the Reign of Kyril. This occurs more than 500 years before his first emergence from the Grove and may be a chronological error. The companion theoretically would have been Taver or some previous unknown incarnation of the Kings/Queens Own Companion. One possible explanation offers that Rolan and Taver take turns at life; when one passes away the other emerges from the grove and they are the only 2 possible Kings Own companions.